From the square bordering the fortress, you can catch sight of one of the most beautiful scenes to be found on the Algarve. Originally a Muslim castle though rebuilt in the XVI century, its importance is underlined by the fact that King D. Sebastião personally inspected the works in 1573.
The great earthquake of 1755 left its trail of destruction and was D. Rodrigo de Noronha to commission its rebuilt, which lasted from 1770 to 1794. The fortress has a trapezoidal plant with bastions and sentry boxes.
The fiscal brigade of the Guarda Nacional Republicana has been stationed in the building since 1897 therefore, visits to the interior are not yet possible. With its back wall toward the fortress, the church of Nossa Senhora da Assunção is a temple which dates back to the XIII century, preserving a lateral gothic doorway from that time. T
he main body of the church dates from the XVI century with reconstructions in the XVIII century. It has a portico in the Renaissance.